- We are pleased to welcome Rekina Jones as our new Assistant Director.
- LHA has also hired several new staff, and all staff have worked hard to prepare for an exciting upcoming academic year.
-The next 5th Sunday Event will be on October 29th, and it will also be our annual charge conference.
-Adventure Sundays, Children's Ministry Sunday School: Pre-K - 5th grade, every Sunday Morning from 9:30am - 11am in the Fellowship Hall
- Trunk or Treat, October 25th at 6pm, Parking Lot
-Middle School Girls Bible Study, October 8th at 5:30pm, Glenda Bell's House
Minister of Congregational Care:
- Discovering Our Spiritual Gifts “Digging Deeper” Classes continue Sundays at 5:00 PM and Tuesdays at 10:00 AM in Room 103 (No Tuesday Class 9/19 due to the Adults-On-the-Go trip to Washington, DC.)
- The New Room class continues to do well under the leadership of Lisa Haman. Encourage 9:30 AM worshippers to consider this group meeting at 11:00 in Room 103.
- Watch for a request for everyone to write an Advent Devotional. All Staff and Lay Leadership are encouraged to provide a devotional for publication this Advent. More to come.
- Our Advent Study this year will be a four-part study titled People of the Nativity. Study materials will be provided at no cost to participants.
- We have a subscription to SmallGr
- oups.com which gives us access to literally hundreds of studies that can be downloaded and used in Small Groups at no additional cost. We are encouraging small groups to consider these resources when looking for new study materials.
- We have additional servant leaders now working to mail CDs and other materials to our homebound and others each Tuesday. Thanks to Carol Parker and Nan Hughes for stepping up!
- The Allgood Media Center is up and running again. The Media Center is open Wednesdays (when we have WNS) 4:30-7:00 PM and Sundays 10:30 AM-12:15 PM. Sandy usually works on Tuesdays from 10:00 AM to 12:00 Noon as well. We have had much more traffic in our new location. Thanks to everyone who has been so patient during this move.
- Rooms 103 and 105 are multi-use rooms. The tables and chairs there are for the use of everyone who has properly scheduled the room. However, after your use, please return the rooms to the condition and setup that existed before you used the room. If for some reason, that is not possible, please let me know, so I can get it taken care of
-Health Ministries Offers Blood Pressure Screening
Tuesday, September 19 Wednesday, September 20
Tuesday, October 17 Wednesday, October 18
11:00 – 12:30 Narthex 4:45 – 5:45 FSH
Drop by to have your BP checked and get further information if needed on ways to control Blood Pressure at home. If you cannot make either of these events, or if you have questions about your blood pressure that you would like to discuss, call Jackie Hayes at 770-313-1876 to set up a consultation at a time convenient for you. The goal for this meeting would be to discuss ways to help you maintain your blood pressure within a normal range to prevent future health issues related to hypertension.
Congregational Care Committee:
-The Congregational Care Committee has been operating by following a team approach. Team members meet quarterly to report on visits, and then they work to update our lists of church members and friends who need various types of support and outreach from the committee. In addition, various committee members help in coordinating Adults on the Go activities. The committee met most recently on July 31, and they planned a “Lunch and Learn” for September 7 that featured Blood Pressure and Humor, led by Jackie Hayes, our Faith Community Nurse. Several adults will be enjoying a trip to Washington, DC this month.
Please let Jim Perry or Linda Bonstein know of any member or community friend who may need home visits or some extra “TLC” from this caring group. The next committee meeting is October 30. Please watch for announcements of future Adults on the Go outings or luncheons after that time.
-East Cobb UMC currently has 10 active Stephen Ministers, and 4 Stephen Leaders (3 of whom are also Stephen Ministers). We meet in two different Supervision groups – one on Tuesday afternoons, and one after the 11 o’clock service on Sundays. Participation in a Supervision group is mandatory and its purpose is twofold - to support one another and to hold one another accountable while we minister to those who are having a difficult time.
Because of this ministry’s high level of confidentiality, we cannot say how many folks are receiving care from our Stephen Ministers. We partner with other churches, and some of ECUMC’s folks receive care from other churches’ Stephen Ministers, either by request or circumstances. We serve and care for individuals who attend other churches in our area, or who are unchurched.
We will be having a Service of Hope on November 26th, which is offered to the whole community. We will also be offering our annual GriefShare “Surviving the Holidays” (tentative date November 15th @ 7 pm). This will be published on the GriefShare website, and is available to anyone in the Atlanta area.
August 2017 Financial Results: